All visitors are required to complete the passenger declaration form upon arrival at Paro Airport. The following articles are exempted from customs duty:

  1. Personal effects for daily use.
  2. 2 liters of alcohol; 400 cigarettes; 150 gms of pipe tobacco.
  3. Instruments, apparatus or appliances for professional use.
  4. Photographic equipment, video cameras and other electronic goods.

Those articles described in section (c) and (d) must be declared on the declaration form. If these items are disposed off in Bhutan by sale or gift they become liable for customs duty. On departure, visitors are required to surrender their forms to the Customs authorities. Import and export of arms, ammunition, explosives, narcotics and drugs and wildlife products are strictly prohibited.

Import/export restrictions
Import/export of the following goods is strictly prohibited:

  1. Arms, ammunitions and explosives
  2. All narcotics and drugs except medically prescribed drugs
  3. Wildlife products, especially those of endangered species

Imports of plants, soils etc. are subject to quarantine regulations. These items must be declared on arrival. Visitors are advised to be cautious in purchasing old and used items, especially of religious or cultural significance as customs authorities will not allow any old/used items to be taken out of the country if they have not been certified as non-antique. Our advice should be sought before committing to such purchases.

Indian Tourists Entering by Roadways (from Assam and Bengal)

Indians don’t require a visa to enter Bhutan, and are given a seven-day entry-cum-stay permit at the immigration offices upon presentation of a passport or government-issued ID such as a voter’s registration card. This permit allows travel only within Phuentsholing, Thimphu and Paro, and can be extended at the Immigration Office in Thimphu for successive periods of three weeks each. Bring at least one passport photo. One can also request a route permit here to travel beyond the three above-mentioned towns. If you are driving yourself, you will need a route permit from the Royal Safety Transport Authority (RSTA) which will be assisted by our team.